Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Things of Value

There are many things in this world which many people can put a price tag on. Then there are those few precious moment that are just priceless. What is their difference? Is there one? Or do some things just  seem more important to others, then they do to anyone else?

I'm very grateful for all the things that I own, like my computers, Xbox, PlayStation, Ipod, and many others, but there is one thing which I find just a tad bit more important to me then the others, my poi. Recently, I've taken up a new hobby, which is actually quite dangerous.Without my poi this 'hobby' would be literally impossible. Now I know most people don't know what poi are, unless your one of my friends, or some one who is very into the circuses arts. Poi is a style of Hawaiian fire spinning. Yes fire, real fire. And I know you think I'm insane, and you know what? I am. I spin with chains, about the size of your arm. They are like metal shinning beads making up a long silver string with what looks like a woven marsh mellow on the end, now charred black from excessive use. Once night falls I set up my little area in the back yard making sure to keep the fuel near the house, and of course, away from the fire. The smell of camping fuel fills my nose as I soak me poi in the gas. My mother has the lighter. The spark of the small candle flame appears at its tip. All foolish nonsense, and reckless behavior is left behind as the first wick is engulfed in bright glowing flame. The warmth of fire flickers up the chain, as I light the second poi. As if on instinct I move my arms without  thought and spin them at either side of my body. The heat of the intense flames and closeness keeps me from feeling the bitter cold of the night. The flames hiss and roar as they dance through the air painting red and blue loops through the dark, which stay suspended in the air for just a fleeting moment. The pounding bass of the music rumbles the ground with each interweaving cross of flame and heat. As soon as it starts the end is near. The flames flicker out and the darkness seeps back in to take the place of their warmth. Without my poi, which are quite expensive, I would never be able to enjoy the thrill of spinning fire.

There are a good number of things in my life that no matter how hard I try I could never put a price on them. Seeing as there are to many to mention, I shall go with the first one I can think of, reading. I love reading, truly. The nice relaxing solace I get from sitting cross legged, lost in the sea of pages, of a good book. Slowly turning each thin page with gentleness, as if it would shatter beneath my fingers. The stories playing like movies in my mind, each person having their own being, and each place with its own sights and smells. To imagine I am in there with them, slipping away from the real world into my own. The world of imagination. The peace and quite of being the only one there, that I've grow to love. Relaxing my nerves from a busy day in school (every school day is busy for me) and just drifting off into another place. I can never give up my love for books, and it truly saddens me to know that slowly they are disappearing from the Earth, and that some day people may never know of books, and the feel of leather binding or paper back in ones hands will be forgotten. I hope that some how this never happens.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah we both love to read girl! You've talked to me a little about your poi and I can tell it's something near and dear to you. I love the detail with which you go into it, because it makes it come alive. For example where it says, "The flames hiss and roar as they dance through the air painting red and blue loops through the dark, which stay suspended in the air for just a fleeting moment." I just love the way you describe it. It makes so that I'm with you while you hear the flames hissing and see them dancing. I think your strengths in this essay were definitely your body paragraphs, a strength you have is describing in great detail. Umm I love ya girl and you know that but it didn't really feel like you had and ending paragraph. Like it just dropped off a cliff at the end. Plz don't feel bad I'm just trying to help ya! But other than that it was awesome I loved it!

    ReplyDelete